|The more one with the power of the Dragon's Heritage dies, the more the sickness known as Dragonrot spreads through the world. |
If one known to Wolf is coughing and wheezing, it's likely they are afflicted with Dragonrot.
The more Rot Essence Wolf has, the lower the chances of receiving Unseen Aid
Dragonrot (龍咳, Dragon Cough) is the name of the mysterious illness that has gripped the land of Ashina.
- Dragonrot is spread after Wolf suffers a certain number of deaths he doesn't resurrect from: resurrecting does NOT cause Dragonrot.
- Dragonrot will start manifesting after Wolf perishes definitely four times.
- Some of the characters that interacted with Wolf will become sick and develop a "Rot Essence".
- The more Rot Essence Sekiro has, the lower is the chance to receive Unseen Aid, which prevents the loss of Sen and Skill Experience upon death.
- Dragonrot prevents some questline from progressing, but it does NOT kill any NPC.
|Talking after first resurrection||Emma: Hmm... Notice anything different?|
Wolf: ... Yes.
|Talking after three deaths||Emma: Hmm...?|
Wolf: What is it?
|Speaking with the Sculptor infected||Emma: ...Have you seen the Sculptor lately?|
Wolf: Yes. He's...
|Talking||Emma: My mentor Dogen spoke of it before. He said that repeated death causes the Dragon's Blood to stagnate. And stagnating past a certain point will cause the Dragon's Eye to overflow... You're showing symptoms of overflowing stagnation. That is my diagnosis. If you should notice anything alarming, come and see me.|
Wolf: There must be a way to treat the Dragonrot.
|The Recovery Charm allows Dragonrot sufferers to be healed from a Sculptor's Idol. |
A Dragon's Blood Droplet can be consumed to heal Dragonrot from all those afflicted. Doing so will cause all Rot Essence to disappear, returning the chances of receiving Unseen Aid to the default value.
The following steps are required to become able to cure Dragonrot:
- After dying four times, talk with the Sculptor and, as he suggests, speak with Emma too.
- Reload the area and speak to her again, now that she's found tending to the Sculptor: she'll request to be provided with a Dragonrot Blood Sample, which can be retrieved from any infected NPC, beside the Sculptor.
- Bring her the blood and, upon reloading the area, Emma will give Sekiro her Recovery Charm and Dragon's Blood Droplet [x1]: it's now possible to cure every afflicted NPC, getting rid of all the Rot Essences in the inventory, at the cost of a Dragon's Blood Droplet by simply interacting with any Sculptor's Idol and selecting "Dragonrot Restoration".
|When Emma is tending to the afflicted Sculptor||Wolf: What are you doing?|
Emma: ... Hm? Oh, I didn't realise you were here. The Sculptor has been coughing blood... I took a sample of this blood for my Dragonrot research.
|Speaking again||Emma: For my research... I need you to find me blood samples from others who are afflicted.|
Wolf: I'll see what I can find.
|After Obtaining Dragonrot Blood Sample||Wolf: I've obtained one.|
Emma: A blood sample. Let me see... The colouration is very similar to the Sculptor's. The colour is just slightly tainted. But what's this...? Hmm...
|Speaking again||Emma: I can now continue my research on the Dragonrot with the blood sample you gave me. When we speak again, it's likely I'll have made a breakthrough. In fact, count on it.|
|Talking Again||Emma: I've been waiting for you.|
Wolf: Any progress?
|Talking||Emma: There was a Dragonrot epidemic in Ashina once before. Back then, a cure was not achieved... every single person who caught it, died.|
Wolf: ... I see.
Repercussions on Questlines
Dragonrot will make it impossible to complete the steps of the following questlines:
- Jinzaemon Kumano:
- Blackhat Badger:
- Won't reach the Sunken Valley Cavern.
- Anayama the Peddler:
- Some NPC can't be infected by Dragonrot under certain circumstances:
- Jinzaemon Kumano and Kotaro: if sent to Doujun.
- Jinzaemon Kumano: at the Water Mill.
- Kotaro: in the Halls of Illusion.
- Anayama the Peddler, Inosuke Nogami and the Timid Maid: in Hirata Estate.
- Blackhat Badger: at the end of his questline.
- Basket Wearer Shosuke: after going insane.
- Fujioka the Info Broker: in Ashina Castle.
- Some NPC will be cured of their Dragonrot infection under certain circumstances:
- The Faithful One of Ashina Castle, of Senpou Temple and of the Sunken Valley all share the same Rot Essence, while the Faithful One of the Bottomless Hole can't contract Dragonrot at all.
- An NPC that has been previously infected has a lower chance of being targeted by Dragonrot again.
- NPC affected with Dragonrot can't be harmed or killed.
- Holding all the Rot Essences will reduce the chance of Unseen Aid to 1%.
- Regardless of how many deaths one has suffered in the previous playthrough, upon dying for the first time in New Game Plus, Dragonrot will spread.
- Anayama's Rot Essence refers to him as "Newcomer", but in japanese it's actually "man who aims to expand his business" (商いの昇り人).
- In japanese, the Info Broker's Rot Essence never mentions any compassion, it reads more like: "While the whereabouts of a man can be sold, his feelings can't be discarded" (人の事情は売りさばくが、人の情は捨てきれぬ)
Originally Dragonrot was linked to the concept of the "Dragon's Eye", the stagnation of the blood of the dragon's heritage reflecting in the pupil of Wolf's right eye, where he has the white mark. This disease was supposed to actually kill NPC and could only be cured individually by creating a Dragonrot Pellet using some of Wolf's Resurrective Power, but first Wolf had to suppress the stagnation in his own blood for this to be possible:
|If someone afflicted with Dragonrot is not treated, they will die. |
However Emma can create a medicine called Dragonrot Pellet to cure them.
Dragonrot Pellets require Resurrective Power to be created.
|Emma's Cut Dialogue|
|After examining Wolf's face||Emma: So, it's not a birthmark. Then, that must mean it appears on those who have received the dragon's heritage. Or it could be a symptom of the dragon's eye.|
|Examining the face again||Emma: Mmmh...|
Wolf: What is it?
|About the Dragon's Eye||Emma: Stagnation of the dragon's eye... You may be showing symptoms of it...|
Wolf: What is the dragon's eye?
|Speaking of it again||Emma: My mentor Dogen spoke of it before. He said that repeated deaths cause the dragon's blood to stagnate. And stagnating past a certain point, will cause the dragon's eye to overflow. You're showing symptoms of overflowing stagnation. That is my diagnosis. If you should notice anything alarming, come and see me.|
|Explaining how to cure Dragonrot||Wolf: Can it be cured?|
Emma: Yes by giving back what has been taken. More precisely, giving them a portion of your resurrection power. I'll create a medicine based on that power.
|If Wolf's blood is unusable||Emma:But right now, your blood is stagnated. So the first step is for you to suppress the stagnation of your blood. Otherwise I cannot create the medicine.|
|If Wolf's blood is usable||Emma: However, if your blood becomes stagnated... you'll need to find a way to suppress the stagnation.|
|The stagnation is cured, but the medicine can't be created||Emma: I see you've managed to suppress the stagnation of the dragon's blood... but it appears that those afflicted with the dragonrot are still sick. We must find a cure...|
|The stagnation is cured and the medicine can be created||Emma: I see you've managed to suppress the stagnation of the dragon's blood... so right now your blood is in a normal state. If you'd like I can create medicine for the dragonrot.|
|The medicine can be created||Emma: The blood samples allowed me to discover a cure for the dragonrot. The medicine can be created in exchange for some of your resurrective power. If you require the medicine, please let me know.|
|Choosing "Create Dragonrot Pellet"||Wolf: Please, make the medicine.|
Emma: Certainly. To do so, I need some of your power of resurrection.
|Speaking of Dragonrot Pellet||Emma: If you have an afflicted person drink this... their incessant wheezing and coughing should stop. |
Apparently, Hanbei too used to be vulnerable to Dragonrot, as the following icon suggests: