Headless are the ruined form of corrupted heroes who once fought for their country. A fog slowing movement and preventing dashing encircles them.
The first one is found in Ashina Outskirts after a warning sign posted on a temple near where General Tenzen Yamauchi is fought, through the gates to the right. Grapple to the branch then jump forward to the right and grab onto the ledge and keep to the left, then finally land in front of a cave. Inside the cave below is a Shinobi door that leads to the Senpou Temple's Bell Demon's Temple.
The third one is found in Ashina Castle in a cave and requires Mibu Breathing Technique to reach. From the Under-Shrine Valley Sculptor's Idol, go the opposite way of the path leading to Sunken Valley to reach a plateau with monuments and graves. Here, dive into the small body of water near an ice pillar to reach its cave.
Behaviour and Tactics Edit
- Defilement: wherever he walks creates a debilitating aura capable of slowing down and limiting evasive maneuvers like sprinting and step dodging.
- Perilous Grab: spins the sword around in a ritualistic manner then disappears, only to reappear behind Wolf for a grab. If connected, he steals Wolf's shirikodama and absorbs it.
- Raging Smash: two overhead smashes.
- Quick Slap: slaps with his left hand if Wolf is too close.
- Two-Hit Combo: an overhead smash follows by a horizontal slash with extended range.
- Ghostly Projectiles: releases a volley of homing projectiles capable of dealing damage bypassing guards.
- Belly Flop: leaps high into the air and land atop of Wolf belly first if he moves too far away.
Normal attacks do not damage the land variants of the Headless, so it is advised to use Divine Confetti. Their wide variety of sword attacks cause rapid Terror build-up. Be sure to consume a Pacifying Agent or use Mottled Purple Gourd at the beginning of the fight.
Phoenix's Lilac Umbrella is another essential tool to bring to this fight, not only for the Terror buildup absorption but the use of Projected Force will help whittle down the Headless quickly. By using both Divine Confetti, Yashariku's Sugar, and Malcontent, it is possible to defeat the Headless before it has an opportunity to attack: move as close as possible to the Headless, and use Malcontent to stun it, then keep attacking even after the stun wears off. If enough damage is dealt, the Headless will stagger, allowing enough time to perform the first Deathblow. After this, simply repeat the process for the second Deathblow.
When it disappears to teleport behind Wolf, jump forward repeatedly or face it when it reappears as its Perilous Grab attack will only be attempted if Wolf is faced away from it. Because the fog around it slows movement and prevents dashing, be sure to jump or deflect to avoid taking damage. Note that deflecting perfectly still inflicts some damage.
One is found in Ashina Castle. From the Old Grave Sculptor's Idol, head towards the Great Serpent Shrine, but dive into the pond before passing the first bridge.
The other one is found at the bottom of the large lake at Fountainhead Palace along with a weaker, illusory duplicate, each possessing only one health bar. Due to their location, the Mibu Breathing Technique is required for both of these fights.
Behaviour and TacticsEdit
- Cyclone: creates a tunneling vacuum, pulling the target close. If connected, he steals Wolf's shirikodama and absorbs it.
- Ghostly Projectiles: releases a volley of homing projectiles.
- Terror Wave: slashes in an arc, delivering a fast moving shockwave with Terror buildup.
- Sword Swing: swings his sword around, similar to how a Perilous Grab of the Land Variant does.
Normal sword attacks do damage to the underwater variants, but Divine Confetti still deals extra damage, however since item usage, including that of Prosthetic Tools is restricted underwater, be sure to apply the buff before diving.
These variants use more ranged attacks more frequently and need to be Deathblown only once. Focus on dodging their projectiles and dash in for a few swings until another opening.
- Shirikodama (尻子玉) is a mythical ball said to contain one's soul, located inside the anus. In Japanese folklore, Kappa are said to take these balls for the purpose of gaining the power of their victims. Headless seems to be doing the same, and after the attack connects, he seems to be inserting the ball into himself.