Wolf once again meets Genichiro Ashina (葦名弦一郎, Ashina Genichiro) atop Ashina Castle, along with Emma as Kuro refuses to share his immortality with the lord. Realizing the mere strength of his sword and bow alone aren't enough to defeat the shinobi, Genichiro channels the power of lightning on his blade and arrows through the Way of Tomoe (巴流), a technique he acquired from his previous mentor, Lady Tomoe.
Behaviour and Tactics
- Perilous Attack Follow Up: delivers an overhead smash while airborne and connects with a Perilous Thrust upon landing.
- Perilous Attack: runs towards Wolf and does a plunging attack.
- Perilous Grab: initiates a sideway jumping slash to the left then uses his elbow to deliver a quick jab, if connected he punches Wolf in the stomach. Striking him during this attack will topple his balance, even with a visible block at the end of the move.
- Perilous Thrust: thrusts with his katana.
- Perilous Sweep: sweeps the floor and follow up with an arrow shot.
- Advance: two horizontal slashes while stepping forth.
- Chasing Slice: runs a short distance then slashes twice.
- Closing Tide: slides and shoots an arrow, or two, concurrently then roll forward, slashing once.
- Floating Passage: a deadly combo of seven hits starting with him sliding to the left with the last guard-breaking strike. May cancel at any time when the target is too far away with an arrow shot.
- Guard Breaking Shot: notches an arrow with incredible force which is capable of breaking guard upon releasing. He anticipates Wolf with this move whenever he drinks from the Healing Gourd or use another healing item.
- Hawk Shot: stays airborne and shoots rapidly four times.
- Iaijutsu: a quick drawn strike with short closing distance.
- Receding Tide: slides back and shoots two arrows at the same time, then prepares for an Iaijutsu.
- Two-hit Combo: spins his body, slashing and kicks right after. May follow up with a Guard Breaking Shot.
- Perilous Attack Follow Up: delivers an overhead smash while airborne and connects with a Perilous Thrust or a Perilous Sweep upon landing.
- Hawk Shot: stays airborne and shoots rapidly up to 5 times.
- Death's Thrust: lunges forward thrusting for a long distance. He will always start with this move and anticipates Wolf with this move whenever he uses an item. May follow up with Perilous Grab.
- Floating Passage: a deadly combo of seven hits starting with him sliding to the left with the last guard-breaking strike, and prepares with a delayed Perilous Thrust. May cancel at any time when the target is too far away with an arrow shot.
- Perilous Attack Follow Up: delivers an overhead smash while airborne and connects with one of the following, based on his action:
- crouches down means a Perilous Thrust.
- turns his body clockwise means a Perilous Sweep.
- turns his body anti-clockwise means a quick upward cut that, if deflected, follows up with a delayed Perilous Thrust.
- Perilous Grab: runs toward Wolf attempting to grab him. If connected he throws Wolf on the ground before stabbing him in the chest.
- Lightning of Tomoe Shot: jumps up and imbues his arrow with lightning, then shoots out an electrifying arrow afflicting Shock abnormality instantly.
- Lightning of Tomoe Slash: raises the katana to his right with both hands and imbues it with lightning, leaps up then slashes forwards in a long horizontal arc.
- Lightning of Tomoe Smash: raises the katana to his left and imbues it with lightning, leaps up then smashing straight down.
Ako's Sugar (or Ako's Spiritfall), Ungo's Sugar and Gokan's Sugar all help immensely in this battle. The Loaded Axe not only can deal massive damage to Genichiro's Posture, but it can also stun him out of his attacks. The Flame Vent, especially in conjunction with Oil, will not only deplete his Vitality greatly, but Burn will also prevent his Posture from regenerating. Although risky, Shurikens may also prove particularly effective against the boss, if he's hit while midair.
In phase one, Genichiro's first attack is always his Closing Tide move. Keeping constant pressure on him can easily lock him in a loop or only deflecting and following up with either Iaijutsu, Floating Passage, Hawk Shoot or Perilous Attack Follow Up. Against Floating Passage, if the player's Posture Bar is almost full, it's possible to deflect the first two attacks of the combo and then dodge away to wait for the boss to finish it to punish him (note that if the players gets to far away from Genichiro, he'll interrupt the combo to use his Guard Breaking Shot). It's easy to predict when the boss is about to use his Hawk Shoot attack as he'll always dash backward first: not only it's possible to then interrupt the move as it starts, but all the arrows can be dodged by simply dashing twice toward Genichiro. During the first phase of the fight, Genichiro will always use a Perilous Thrust after his Perilous Attack Follow Up, opening him up to an easy Mikiri Counter.
Phase 2 is almost entirely identical to the first, except Genichiro can now use a Perilous Sweep after his Perilous Attack Follow Up.
Genichiro always opens up his third phase with a Perilous Thrust. Genichiro is susceptible to the same lightning attacks that he employs: as a result, the Lightning Reversal technique can deal significant Posture and Vitality damage to the boss and briefly paralyzing him. Using an Eel Liver is recommended to remove Shock as it builds up. Genichiro's lightning attacks can also be interrupted if he is attacked or simply avoided by dashing under him. Genichiro will add a new move to his Perilous Attack Follow Up, a deflectable horizontal slash that he'll always follow up with a Perilous Thrust, if parried.
|+2000 Skill Experience||0|
|Memory: Genichiro||Bloodsmoke Ninjutsu|
|Cutscene||Genichiro: How is grandfather?|
Emma: Lord Isshin is... it's a wonder he is still with us. A miracle.
|Engaging in Combat||Genichiro: Shinobi...I didn't think I'd see you again...|
|First Deathblow||Genichiro: I'm not finished yet...Shinobi of the Divine Heir...!|
|Second Deathblow||Genichiro: Impressive, Shinobi of the Divine Heir. But you deserve better. Would you not answer to a different lord?|
|Final Deathblow||Genichiro: Ash...ina...|
|Post-Fight Cutscene||Emma: You were victorious, I see.|
Wolf: Are you...?
|Witnessing Wolf Resurrect||Genichiro: