He's the vessel for the flames of hatred of a man who failed to become Shura. The one-armed demon prowls the battlefield, consumed by flames of deepest resentment. As Wolf's about to kill him, the familiar voice of the Sculptor thanks him for putting an end to his rampage. That man was bound stubbornly to this world, and it wasn't until he became a demon that he was able to depart for the next.
In order to access his closed off arena, Wolf must reach the Underbridge Valley from the Old Grave of Ashina Castle and traverse Ashina Outskirts until the Gate Path: upon commuting with a Sculptor's Idol, he will be sent to the Flames of Hatred Sculptor's Idol.
Behaviour and Tactics
- Charge: uses his right hand to scrape the ground before charging a long distance forward.
- Combo: raises his fiery left arm and sweeps it across once, back, then follows up with a medium closing distance Stomp and ultimately another sweep if Wolf is still close by.
- Eruption: flares up, then leaps high into the air before slamming down in a large fiery explosion which knock the target away. A grappling point is revealed after he landed.
- Flame Chase: quickly whips the blazing left arm around him if the target is behind.
- Flaming Tendril: raises his left arm in the air then delivers a long ranged overhead smash. A short pause afterward. If deflected successfully with the Suzaku's Lotus Umbrella, he will be briefly stunned.
- Flaming Whip: cover his face with the right arm while the left arm ignites then delivers a quick long ranged sweep, a close ranged sweep and finally a long ranged overhead smash. He may cancel the last overhead smash if the Wolf is nearby. The sweep attacks can be jumped over.
- Flickering Flame: whips the burning hand around then anticipates his target in a pose, if approached he smashes down and whips the burning hand again, ends with a powerful smash.
- Shower of Fire: a ranged attack coming from his left arm, which sends out a horizontal line of fireballs. He will use it again with closer range if Wolf's trying to close the distance during the attack.
- Slam: steps forward and slams a hand into the ground in front of him.
- Double Stomp: stomps first with left leg and then his right in quick succession.
- Harite: steps forth and does a sumo right hand push. He tends to walk before initiating this attack. May follow it up with Flickering Flame.
- Head Slam: after rearing back, he smashes his head into the ground up to three times.
- Slingshot: flings himself towards the target and slam down with the right hand, dealing damage in a small radius.
- Stomp: stomps with his right leg with after a short pause.
- Burning Wrath: conjures a set of eight homing burning Buddha statues, dealing posture damage even when guarded with the Suzaku's Lotus Umbrella. Run sideways to dodge this attack entirely.
- Flashfire: sends out a wide, long line of flames in front of him. A grappling point is revealed right before the flame appears.
- Feral Claw: quickly lunges a medium distance forward and claws.
- Blazing Trail: after the initial Charge, he may quickly turn around and charge with the burning arm at an incredible speed. This second charge can be jumped over just like the first.
- Inferno: wildly sweeps the ground for three wide flaming swings which then soon becomes a tall fire ring, engulfing the area in a wall of flames. Jumping over the first sweep and dashing toward the boss through the second will leave Wolf unharmed.
Suzaku's Lotus Umbrella is very useful for this fight, as it shields against most of the Demon's Burn-inflicting attacks, such as the Shower of Fire and Eruption, and can even counter them for Vitality damage with the Projected Force Combat Art. As an apparition-type enemy, the Demon is vulnerable to the Divine Confetti buff and Malcontent can be used to stun him up to three times, while Lazulite Shuriken and Lazulite Sacred Flame can deal damage his health severely.
Start the fight by running to his left, as the fiery arm of the Demon can deal damage even while he's posing as Wolf's approaching him, and land two hit before backing off.
Constantly running while in front of him to the side is enough to avoid the majority of his attacks, especially his Stomps and Double Stomps.
Due to the tracking his attacks have, Deflecting, while it won't deal high Posture damage, may prove to be a valuable alternative to Side-Stepping.
After dodging to the right through the first fiery attack of his Combo, sticking close to his left leg is enough to avoid the second hit completely.
To escape his Charge, jump instead of dodging as it's a sweep attack. Since he'll most likely follow it up with Shower of Fire, it's best to either run up to him immediately or to wait for him to come and run back once tha attack has been baited.
Run away from the Eruption, then jump and grapple back onto him after he landed. This move can be blocked by the Umbrella, but attempting to counter-attack too early will make Wolf vulnerable to the knock-back effect.
Deflecting his Harite will stun him for a brief second, but if done too close to him it'll expose Sekiro to Flickering Flame.
Running to the left and towards him will avoid his Slam and the last attack of Flaming Tendril entirely.
It's risky to attempt to punish his Head Slam early, as there's no way to tell when he'll do it one or three times.
He can't be damaged through his transition to Phase Two and he'll conclude it with a (harmless) knock-back.
Run to either side once he initiates the Flashfire attack, which he telegraphs by leaning to his right and slamming his left arm onto the ground, jump as he sends out the flames, then grapple to him.
Running to the side can also be applied against his new Burning Wrath attack, but beware that getting to close to the Demon as it'll make it harder to avoid his homing projectiles.
In Phase 3, run away as soon as he starts sweeping the ground or Wolf will be trapped in a much smaller fighting area. Since the Demon is completely vulnerable all the way through his Inferno attack, one can choose to take advantage of this by staying in front of him, jumping above the first sweep and then dashing toward him through the second to avoid any damage.
While in the fire ring, the Demon will often use his Charge, following it up with a Blazing Trail that can be hard to detect, because of the flames hiding the Perilous Attack kanji.
|+15,000 Skill Experience|
|Memory: Hatred Demon||Lapis Lazuli x2|
|Engaging in Fight||Wolf: Sculptor...|
|At the beginning of 2nd phase||Wolf: So these are the flames of hatred...|
|Before Shinobi Execution||Demon: Finish me... please...|
|During Shinobi Execution||Wolf:Farewell, Sculptor
Demon: Wolf... thank... you...
To unlock Wolf's dialogues during the bossfight, the player needs to complete the following steps before defeating Great Shinobi - Owl:
- Kill Lady Butterfly and talk to the Sculptor, selecting "Ask what the Buddha showed him".
- Give the Unrefined Sake, Monkey Booze and Ashina Sake to the Sculptor.
- Eavesdrop on Emma and the Sculptor at the Dilapidated Temple, after the first invasion of Ashina Castle is triggered.
- After exhausting Emma's dialogues, reload the area to make her move from the Temple and talk to the Sculptor.
- It's impossible to fill his Posture Meter to the end just by deflecting attacks: until a hit is landed, even when the Posture bar appears full, he won't become vulnerable to a Deathblow.
- His appearance being similar to a red-furred ape reflects the Sculptor's old shinobi name (Orangutan).
- The poses struck by the Demon after his Harite attack and Burning Wrath attack are similar to some of the Mie (見え) used in the Kabuki Theater (歌舞伎) to display the actor's emotions at their peak.
- The apparition of this boss is foreshadowed throughout the entire game by the Sculptor himself, the Old Maid, Emma, the Sculptor's Karma Combat Arts and, lastly, by the Info Broker.
- The projectiles that he fires during his Burning Wrath attacks are flaming Sculptor's Idols.